Designed in collaboration with Boardworks ambassador and environmental SUP activist, Norm Hann, the Great Bear is the ultimate tour and expedition board designed for long distance, rough water paddling in lakes, bays, docile rivers or open ocean.
- Hull design provides incredible stability and glide
- Refined nose shape and rocker for downwind paddling and cutting through heavy chop
- Extra wide tail for greater stability in rough water
- Filled in the cock pit for watershed
- Beautiful bamboo veneer with striking northwest First Nations inspired graphics
- Soft diamond groove pad for comfort and traction
- LiftSUP™ handle for easy portage and locking
- Forward and rear deck tie down plugs with bungee cord included for transporting extra gear for touring and expeditions
- Self regulating vent plug to relieve pressure in heat or high altitude
- Single tour/race fin for speed and tracking
- Forward fin placement for maneuverability and easy tail turning
- 14’0″ Great Bear – $1,999 USD, $2,349 CAD
* Online orders are Continental U.S. addresses only. See our store locations to find a shop near you.
Inspired by Norm’s conservation efforts, Boardworks has pledged $20 of the sale of each Great Bear board to be donated to StandUp4GreatBear, a non-profit organization that promotes awareness and encourages the protection of Great Bear Rainforest through “expeditions, partnerships and action.”
THE ISSUE: Enbridge Inc, a Calgary-based oil and gas company has proposed the construction of a 1,170 km pipeline running from Alberta’s tar sands to Kitimat on British Columbia’s west coast. From here, crude oil would be loaded into super tankers bound for Asia. Before reaching the open ocean, these tankers would first need to pass through some of the most dangerous navigable waters in the world, -the narrow inlets of the Great Bear Rainforest. If this happens, a devastating oil spill is inevitable that would wipe out one of the most pristine marine environments on the planet.
Our hope is not only to help protect the Great Bear Rainforest but to inspire people all over the world to take action to protect the waters that they paddle and love.